Blanket Appeal Part 1 – Undoing

I recently was given a Monogrammed Throw Blanket to Re-Work. The original Monogram was done with a very wide Satin Stitch. This kind of stitch does not “wear” well as the stitches can be very loose and prone to snagging and pulling. In addition, if you look closely, you can see the loops of the blanket actually beginning to work their way up through the embroidery thread. A Water Soluble Stabilizer (WSS) used as a Topping at the time of the original stitchout held these loops back. With time, and washing, this topping dissolves and is no longer able to hold these loops back. The same thing happens with a Terry Cloth Towel or a napped fabric like the Christmas Stocking featured in previous posts. Even if you don’t wash the item, Water Soluble Stabilizer dries out over time and can become brittle and flake away underneath the embroidery design if there is enough room under the stitches as in the embroidery below.

Fortunately for me, the same thing that makes this stitch style a bad choice for the blanket, makes it a very easy “fix”. I simply slid the tip of my Snip EZ Scissors and Snip, Snip, Snipped my way across, underneath the Bobbin Thread. The Squeeze Action of these Scissors make them a dream to use for cleaning up thread tails on the back of designs as well as this type of project. I especially love these Snips because they are so easy on my hands. My thumbs no longer work well and my fingers are stiffening up. I can use these for extended periods with very little pain in my hands. Even when you have good hands, working regular Scissors for long periods can become quite painful.

     

 

2 Problems – Same Solution?

Last month I was consumed with embroidering on deep pile Christmas Stockings. As with any textured surface, Terrycloth, Velvet, Fleece, Fur, you name it, the plush “fur” of the Stocking presented some Digitizing and Embroidery challenges.

I wrote about those Challenges and my Solutions here:

A Right Way and a Wrong Way & Embossed Christmas Stocking

I started my New Year with a Sewing Room clean out and came across my stash of Valentine’s Day fabric. Guess what. Christmas is over. It is already past time to be thinking about the next Holiday!

Valentine’s Day!!!

It’s less than 6 weeks away. The stores are probably already half sold out of all their Valentine’s Day merchandise.

It’ll probably all be on Clearance by next week!

As I was admiring one of my favorite pieces of Valentine’s fabric, I realized that embroidering on it presents some real challenges in the Digitizing and the Embroidery itself.

As you can see, this is one “busy” print! And its not just the print, it has sparkle bits on it too. I really have to think about anything I embroider on this fabric because it can just get “eat up” by all those hearts and sparkly dots. The wrong embroidery design can simply disappear into that background.

As I was forming my plan of attack, I realized I had already been there, done that, got the T-shirt! The Challenge and the Solution for this background print is exactly the same as the Challenge and the Solution for those Christmas Stockings!

valentinesparkle   valentinesparklesolutions

 

Happy Valentine’s Day!

valentinecandybox